856-299-2210

Madison & Hamilton NY

$21.99

Located on the eastern border of Madison County, the towns of Madison and Hamilton also contain villages of the same names. Settlement began around 1794, and Madison was formed in 1807 from a portion of the town of Hamilton. The well-known Landmark Tavern, designed by James Coolidge around 1849, is located in Bouckville, in the middle of Madison. Coolidge also brought hops to the area, establishing it as the largest hop producer in the United States. The creation of the Cherry Valley Turnpike (now Route 20) and the Chenango Canal in the mid-1800s attracted both residents and industries, including Samuel Mott, creator of the famous Mott’s Apple Sauce, who moved to Bouckville in 1868 where he established Mott’s Cider Company in 1869; he later moved his home to Hamilton. Development continued into the 1900s as the New York, Ontario & Western Railroad ran through both towns, bringing visitors from nearby Syracuse and Utica. Now home to Colgate University, the quaint towns and rural communities in the area continue to welcome residents and visitors alike.

Category:

Additional information

Weight 11.2 oz
Dimensions 6.5 × 0.3 × 9.2 in